Attorneys Handle Complex Accident Cases in Bristol Tennessee
Helping clients in the Tri-Cities resolve personal injury, family, criminal and probate matters for more than 100 years
Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. is a full-service law firm serving the Tri-Cities of Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City and the greater upper East Tennessee region. The firm was established in 1909 and continues a long history of exceptional client care. Our attorneys have more than 75 years of combined experience in the areas of personal injury, auto accidents, Social Security, family law, criminal defense, and wills and probate. So regardless of the legal issue you are facing, we are equipped to provide customized solutions and reliable results.
Working tirelessly on behalf of personal injury victims
If you have been seriously hurt because of someone else’s negligence, you need a lawyer who has substantial experience with personal injury law in Tennessee. Our dedicated lawyers help you recover your losses related to:
- Slip and fall accidents — If you slip on a wet floor, trip over uneven pavement or fall down a broken stairway, the property owner may be liable for your injuries. Our experienced Tri-Cities personal injury lawyers investigate your claim and aggressively pursue compensation from the responsible parties.
- Wrongful death — The death of a loved one can be devastating, particularly if it is caused by someone else’s unlawful actions. Our dedicated wrongful death attorneys help you seek compensation for your financial and emotional losses.
- Dog bites — Dog owners can potentially be strictly liable for injuries caused by their animals. We help you recover the costs of medical treatment, including reconstructive surgery.
- Motorcycle accidents — Motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries, including brain damage, spinal cord injuries, road rash and broken bones. We pursue compensation from the negligent driver who caused the crash.
- Brain and spinal cord injuries — Brain and spinal cord injuries often require years of costly medical treatment and, in some cases, may last a lifetime. Our injury lawyers fight to ensure that your loved one receives the necessary care.
Achieving full and fair compensation after a serious auto accident
Motor vehicle accidents are increasingly common on Tennessee roadways. If your accident was caused by another driver’s distracted driving, speeding or alcohol impairment, we help you receive full compensation for your injuries. Our auto accident cases often involve:
- High-speed collisions — The risk of serious injury or death from a car accident increases with speed. Our knowledgeable Bristol attorneys bring at-fault speeding drivers to justice and hold them accountable for the devastating injuries that can result from high-speed collisions.
- Catastrophic auto-accident injuries — While crashes happen in an instant, they can lead to catastrophic injuries, such as traumatic brain injury, amputation and paralysis. Our experienced lawyers fight for the damages you deserve, including lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of earning capacity and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Pedestrian accidents — Even when traveling at a slow speed, a vehicle can inflict significant damage on someone traveling on foot. Victims of pedestrian accidents need dedicated legal guidance to pursue monetary damages from at-fault drivers.
- Truck accidents — Truck drivers and trucking companies must follow strict safety requirements. If you have been injured in a truck accident, our skilled lawyers can hold the negligent parties responsible for your injuries.
- Dangerous roadways in Tennessee and Southwest Virginia — Major highways like I-81 and I-26 are heavily traveled. If you have been injured on one of these roadways in an accident involving an aggressive driver, distracted driver or otherwise careless driver, we can help you recover your losses.
Guiding the disabled through the Social Security process
The Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program pays benefits to people who cannot work because of a serious medical condition. However, obtaining benefits often involves a complex legal process of document submissions, hearings and appeals. We understand how to successfully navigate the system to ensure you receive the benefits to which you are entitled. Our SSDI practice focuses on:
- Social Security requirements — Social Security Disability applicants, and applicants for SSI (Supplemental Security Income), must satisfy a number of requirements related to their medical condition, work history and educational background. We help you prepare your application and see it through the approval process.
- Social Security benefits — Securing SSD and SSI benefits is not often easy and many claims are initially denied. We fight for your rights throughout the appeals process to achieve the best possible result.
Aggressively defending individuals facing criminal charges
A criminal conviction can be devastating for you and your family. No matter what the charges, you need an experienced lawyer at your side. Our aggressive criminal defense attorneys will work with prosecutors to dismiss or reduce the charges against you. If necessary, we fight the allegations in court. We routinely represent defendants in the Tri-Cities who are charged with:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) — A DUI conviction can result in the loss of your driver license, monetary fines and even jail time. We work tirelessly to reduce the fallout from an arrest.
- Violent crimes — Charges of assault, battery or domestic violence can lead to hefty financial penalties and significant jail time. They may also interfere with your ability to see your children. You need an experienced lawyer who understands how to navigate the system.
- Drug possession and distribution — Drug crimes represent some of the most common crimes in Tennessee, and even possession of marijuana can result in criminal charges. You need a skilled lawyer on your side to deliver the best results for you.
- Theft — Theft crimes can often lead to a charge of a felony or misdemeanor. Our skilled attorneys work diligently on your behalf to lessen the criminal penalties against you.
Preparing wills and leading families through probate
Our lawyers understand the intricacies of Tennessee wills and probate law. Whether you would like to prepare or amend a will, power of attorney or living will, establish a conservatorship or settle a loved one’s estate, we help you navigate the process. Our services include:
- Wills, Powers of Attorney & Living Wills — Regardless of the complexity of your situation, our attorneys can draft a will, power of attorney and living will that ensures your wishes are carried out and your assets protected.
- Guardianships and conservatorships — Our attorneys establish a guardianship or conservatorship for a loved one who can no longer manage their personal care or financial affairs.
- Probate administration — If you are appointed as the administrator of a loved one’s estate, we walk you through the often-complicated process of collecting assets, settling debts, paying taxes and dispersing funds to heirs.
Helping families navigate divorce and other family law issues
Our law firm offers knowledgeable legal advice and compassionate support to clients dealing with family law issues. We always listen carefully to your concerns and offer reasonable solutions that protect your best interests and those of your children. We handle a variety of family law matters, including:
- Divorce — In divorce cases, we ensure the fair distribution of all assets and liabilities, as well as equitable spousal support.
- Child custody and visitation — In cases involving child custody and visitation, we protect your rights as parents while looking out for the best interests of your children.
- Modifications — When situations change, we help you modify an existing spousal or child support order and parenting plan orders. We create a visitation schedule that reflects your child’s current needs.
- Adoption — We guide birth mothers, parents, stepparents, grandparents and others through the adoption process.
Schedule your initial consultation with our experienced Bristol attorneys today
Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. provides knowledgeable and service-oriented legal services. Whether you were injured by a negligent driver or wrongfully denied SSDI benefits, our experienced lawyers can help. Call us today at 423-201-4208 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.