Bristol Auto Accident Attorneys Give You Information on What to Do After a Crash
Helping Tennessee car wreck victims preserve their rights and legal options
The immediate aftermath of a car accident is a confusing and often painful time. It can be hard to think clearly when you are surrounded by lights, sirens and EMTs. Planning ahead is important because your words and actions following a crash often have an impact on your ability to recover compensation for your medical bills and other expenses. Immediately following an accident, you should move to a safe location as soon as possible. Once you are safe, it is time to start thinking about an attorney. At the law firm of Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C., our Tennessee car wreck lawyers have experience dealing with all types of auto accidents and helping clients who have been injured in a wreck.
Steps to take if you have been in an accident
Following an auto accident, it is essential that you take certain steps to protect yourself physically and legally. Some important actions to take after a Bristol wreck include:
- Notify the police. If you have been involved in a car crash, motorcycle accident or truck wreck, call the police. Accidents must be reported to the police or you can be charged with a hit-and-run. You must be honest with the police, but do not volunteer any extra information. Allow your accident attorney to speak on your behalf when possible.
- Seek medical attention. Insist on going to a hospital or doctor to get checked out. Many injuries don’t have obvious symptoms right away. Your doctor may be able to diagnose, document and treat these injuries before you even notice any pain.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos of the scene. Take down names of witnesses. You are legally required to exchange information with any other drivers involved in the wreck. Be careful not to put yourself in further physical danger by standing in the middle of the road.
- Watch what you say. Never admit that an accident was your fault. Just because you think you did something wrong doesn’t mean the law will agree. When you apologize or admit fault, you can jeopardize your right to recover damages. Never give any recorded statements to insurance claims agents without your attorney present. Don’t let your own insurance company convince you that they have your interests in mind. They are focused on profits, not your recovery.
- Hire an experienced auto accident lawyer. Before signing anything or making statements to insurers, you should retain a knowledgeable attorney. It is important to know what to look for in a car accident lawyer. You should seek a law firm with experience dealing with car accident injuries, a good reputation in the community and a history of getting insurance companies to pay.
The most important thing to do after an accident is to make sure everyone is safe. Once you have received medical attention, you can turn your thoughts to finding the right lawyer. Our attorneys will help you get any compensation you are entitled to under the law.
Contact us for help getting your life back together after a crash
Trying to deal with insurance companies on your own will often lead to smaller settlements. At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C., our attorneys have experience dealing with insurance companies, trucking companies and the court system. We are focused on getting our clients the compensation they need and any financial awards that are allowed under the law. To arrange an initial consultation with our experienced accident law team, call us at 423-797-6022 or contact us online.