Auto Accident Lawyers in Bristol, TN Fight for You
Delivering high-quality legal care after a serious car crash
While a serious auto accident can happen in a split second, the resulting injuries can take a long time to heal. At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, PC, we work tirelessly on behalf of injury victims in Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City. With more than 75 years of combined legal experience, we handle the most serious auto accident cases. We treat all our clients with compassion and care, while aggressively pursuing compensation on their behalf.
The risk of a Tennessee car crash is high
Americans have a one-in-three chance of being involved in a serious motor vehicle accident in their lifetime, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2011, there were an estimated 5,338,000 traffic crashes in the United States, in which 32,367 people were killed and 2,217,000 people were injured. The statistics for our state are just as alarming. Each year, more than 1,000 people are killed on Tennessee roadways, while 63,000 are injured.
At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, PC, we handle cases involving the following types of car and truck accidents:
- Rear-end collisions — Driver inattention and tailgating are often to blame for so-called “fender-benders.” Even at slow speeds, these accidents can cause whiplash and other serious injuries.
- Head-on crashes — These accidents frequently occur when one vehicle inadvertently strays into the path of an oncoming vehicle, or the driver overcorrects and loses control of the vehicle. Because vehicles are often travelling at full speed, the injuries can be devastating.
- Sideswipe accidents — Sideswipe accidents occur when drivers change lanes without checking to see if the path is clear to navigate. The impact can trigger additional collisions with other vehicles or push a vehicle off the roadway.
- Side impacts — T-bone accidents are common at intersections. Since the sides of a vehicle offer the least protection to occupants, the force of a side-impact crash can cause severe trauma.
- Rollovers — Vehicles can flip when a driver hits an object in the road, overcorrects or drives too aggressively, among other causes. Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) and other top-heavy vehicles are most susceptible to rollover incidents.
- Hit-and-run accidents — Even though leaving the scene of an accident is illegal in Tennessee, some drivers still flee. While it can be more difficult to obtain compensation for your injuries if the negligent party is not identified, it is still possible.
Careless drivers are often to blame for car accidents in the Tri-Cities
Drivers and passengers are often injured in car accidents that aren’t their fault. Common examples of negligent driving include:
- Failing to yield to right of way — Drivers don’t always check carefully before turning or changing lanes.
- Following improperly — Rear-end accidents are often caused by drivers who follow too closely or otherwise misjudge the time it takes to stop the vehicle.
- Distracted driving — Talking on a cell phone, texting or any other activity that takes the driver’s focus away from the road can cause a serious car accident.
- Speeding — Racing, driving too fast for conditions or exceeding the posted speed limit are all risky driving behaviors that can cause a wreck.
- Aggressive driving — Speeding, following too closely, unsafe lane changes and improperly signaling are all associated with aggressive driving.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) — Alcohol and drugs slow a driver’s reaction time and otherwise interfere with the ability to safely operative a vehicle.
- Violating a traffic law — Common traffic violations include running a red light, driving through a stop sign and failing to yield.
- Dangerous roads — Poor road design, construction or maintenance can contribute to accidents.
Obtaining full and fair compensation for your injuries
When drivers fail to exercise reasonable care, they are accountable for any injuries they cause. You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages.
After a car wreck, contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. When insurance companies learn that you are not represented, they almost always offer far less than the claim is actually worth. They may also attempt to drag out the claims process or pressure you to accept their initial offer. Insurers know that you are dealing with mounting medical bills and other expenses and will try to use this to their advantage.
Our experienced attorneys in Bristol investigate the accident, interview witnesses, document the scene and collect other evidence. We then negotiate with the insurance company to obtain full and fair compensation on your behalf. If necessary, our seasoned litigators aggressively argue your case at trial.
You need a trusted injury lawyer by your side
When selecting an attorney to represent you after a serious auto accident, experience matters. Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, PC has served the upper east region of Tennessee since 1909. Our injury lawyers are seasoned negotiators and skilled litigators. To find out how we can help you, call us today at 423-797-6022 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. Our office is conveniently located in Bristol, and we also offer hospital or home visits to accident victims and their families.