Attorneys in Bristol Helping Clients after Personal Injury Accidents
Accidents can’t always be avoided in the Tri-Cities or Southwest Virginia area
No matter how careful you are when crossing the street, driving your car or navigating the aisle of the local grocery store, accidents do happen. When someone else’s carelessness is to blame, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. aggressively pursues compensation on behalf of Tennessee and Southwest Virginia injury victims. With more than 75 years of combined legal experience, we have the knowledge and skills to represent your best interests when negotiating with insurance companies or litigating your case in court.
What is a personal injury?
The term “personal injury” refers to a variety of injuries to the body, mind or emotions. The most common causes include auto accidents and truck accidents. Other types of personal injury claims we routinely handle include:
- Slip and fall accidents — Property owners have a duty to keep their premises safe. If you slip and fall at a store, restaurant or even private home, the owner may be liable for your injuries.
- Wrongful death — Family members can bring a wrongful death claim when the death of a loved one is attributable to the fault of another party. Wrongful death claims arise from all kinds of accidents; slip and fall accidents; defective products; and automobile, motorcycle or truck accidents.
- Dog bites — Dogs are not always man’s best friends. In fact, 800,000 people seek medical treatment for dog bites every year. In many cases, a Tennessee dog owner is subject to strict liability for dog bite injuries.
- Motorcycle accidents — Other drivers on the road do not always look out for motorcyclists. When another driver is at fault in a motorcycle accident, riders can recover damages for lost wages, pain and suffering and medical expenses.
- Brain and spinal cord injuries — Motor vehicle accidents, pedestrian accidents, slip and fall accidents can all result in brain and spinal cord injuries. These are severely debilitating and often require costly or lifelong medical treatment.
- Nursing home abuse and errors — Abuse or neglect in nursing homes and residential facilities is never acceptable. Unexplained injuries, bedsores and medication errors all indicate that a loved one is receiving substandard care and may be grounds for a personal injury lawsuit.
What is negligence?
Proving negligence is often the key to a successful personal injury claim. Negligence is generally defined as the failure to exercise the same level of care toward others that a reasonable person would use in the same situation. In order to prove negligence, injury victims must prove the following elements:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff or the general public
- The defendant’s conduct deviated from what a reasonable person would do in the same circumstances
- The plaintiff suffered a compensable injury
- The injury was caused by the negligent conduct
In some cases, plaintiffs may be partially responsible for their injuries. Examples include failing to wear your seatbelt during a car accident or forsaking the doctor’s instructions after a medical procedure. Tennessee follows a modified comparative fault system, under which plaintiffs can only recover damages if their negligence is less than the defendant’s degree of fault. Any damages awarded to the plaintiff are reduced in proportion to their percentage of culpability. For instance, if the judge or jury determines that you are ten percent responsible for your injuries, your monetary award is reduced by ten percent.
Do I need a Tri-Cities lawyer to pursue a personal injury claim?
Following a serious injury, one of the most important decisions you will make is that of retaining a personal injury lawyer. Whether you were injured in a motorcycle accident, slip and fall accident or dog attack, we can help:
- Protect your interests — Insurance companies may pressure you to settle the claim for less than you deserve, or the negligent party may refuse to take responsibility for the incident. You need a powerful ally who understands the law and the insurance claims process. We evaluate your case and negotiate on your behalf.
- Obtain full and fair compensation — Injury victims often face serious financial, physical and emotional challenges. Our lawyers determine the amount of damages to which you are entitled, including lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of earning capacity and loss of consortium. We also explore the availability of Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits.
- Navigate the legal process — Personal injury lawsuits can be complex, costly and time-consuming. Our firm has the dedication and resources to fully investigate your claim, hire authoritative expert witnesses and litigate the case at trial, if necessary.
At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. we want to put your mind at ease while you recover from your injuries. In addition to providing a list of personal injury FAQS, we are always available to address your unique concerns.
Act now to pursue your right to full compensation
If you have been seriously hurt in an accident in Bristol, Kingsport or Johnson City, you need an experienced lawyer to obtain financial compensation for your injuries. Call Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. today at 423-797-6022 or contact us online and schedule a free initial consultation. If you cannot make it to our Bristol office, we can set up an appointment in your home or in the hospital.
Mr L. Carter Massengill was AMAZING!!!! He handled my case professional and was always there to answer questions and encourage me throughout hearing and was available when ever I needed
after. I have HIGHLY recommended him to anyone that needs a Social Security Disability lawyer.
Myer Massengill ll represented me in an auto accident claim. He took his time and explained all my options . Then negotiated a considerable settlement . I highly recommend Myer .
-Scott B., ★★★★★