Johnson City, TN Personal Injury FAQs

Experienced Bristol accident lawyers help injury victims and their families get answers

Following a serious injury, accident victims and their loved ones often have many unanswered questions about what to do next. At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C., our seasoned and compassionate injury attorneys answer your questions and walk you through the legal process. For your benefit, we have assembled the following list of frequently asked questions and answers:

Contact a lawyer in upper East Tennessee about your injury case today

Personal injury cases are often complicated. At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C., our lawyers have over nine decades of combined legal experience. We are also sensitive to the needs of injury victims and provide all clients with the individualized attention they deserve. Call our offices today at 423-797-6022 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. Our office is conveniently located in Bristol, and we also offer hospital or home visits to accident victims and their families.

What should I do if I am hurt in a serious accident?

Following a serious auto accident, your first priority is to obtain medical attention. Your second priority is to document what happened should you later pursue a personal injury claim. The documentation includes:

  • Filing a police report
  • Documenting the names, phone numbers and addresses of witnesses
  • Taking pictures of the scene and your injuries

You should then bring this information with you when you meet to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury lawyer.

Back to top

How do I know if my injury qualifies for an accident lawsuit?

To seek recovery in a personal injury case, you must generally show that you suffered damages that were directly caused by the negligent or reckless conduct of another or entity (company, government agency, organization, etc.). The best way to determine if you have a claim is to talk with a personal injury lawyer who has the knowledge and experience to fully evaluate your claim. At Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C., it costs nothing to ask. We offer a free initial consultation for every injury case.

Back to top

Who is to blame for a car or truck accident?

Car and truck accident lawsuits often involve a number of different players. In addition to the driver, the owner of the vehicle may have legal obligations, particularly if the driver was performing work duties at the time of the crash. If the accident was caused by a defect in the road, such as a pothole, the local road maintenance authority may be liable for your injuries.

Back to top

What is negligence?

The law requires us to act with “reasonable care” when going about our daily activities. The exact definition of reasonable care varies by person and situation. For example, the duty of care required by a doctor is different from that of a truck driver. Negligence occurs when we fail to live up to (or breach) the applicable standard of care.

Back to top

How do I know if the insurance company’s settlement is enough?

The valuation of a personal injury case is complex. Factors that should be taken into consideration include:

  • Nature and severity of your injuries
  • Medical expenses
  • Cost of future medical care
  • Lost wages and other financial losses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Potential impairment or disability

Insurance companies rarely take all these damages into account. Rather, they may pressure you to settle your claim for far less than it is worth. Prior to agreeing to any settlement amount, you should always consult with a reliable attorney who is knowledgeable in this practice area.

Back to top