Attorneys in Kingsport Help Clients Injured in Motorcycle Accidents
Trust our skilled injury attorneys to obtain the compensation you deserve
Drivers often fail to watch out for motorcycles when merging, changing lanes or turning at intersections. For riders, the consequences can be disastrous. If you have been seriously hurt while riding your bike in upper East Tennessee, you need an experienced attorney to protect your legal rights. Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. has the knowledge and dedication to aggressively pursue the compensation to which you are entitled.
Motorcycle accidents statistics
Despite increased helmet use and widespread public safety efforts to encourage drivers to share the road, motorcycle accidents are on the rise. Consider the following statistics:
- Over 4,500 Americans were killed in motorcycle accidents in 2011, accounting for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- The NHTSA has concluded that motorcyclists are more than 30 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash and five times more likely to be injured.
- In Tennessee, 139 motorcyclists died in traffic crashes in 2012, while thousands were injured. The Tennessee Department of Safety also reports that the state continues to experience an upward trend in both motorcycle accident injuries and fatal accidents.
Why motorcycle accidents happen in Eastern Tennessee
Motorcycle accidents have a variety of causes. Many Tennessee motorcycle crashes are caused by poor road conditions. Potholes, gravel, wet or slippery surfaces, pavement seams, railroad crossings and grooved pavement can all lead to drivers losing control. In some cases, motorcycle drivers may be able to seek compensation from the Tennessee government entity in charge of maintaining the road or highway.
Alcohol impairment impacts the abilities of everyone on the road. In 2011, nearly 10,000 Americans were killed in highway crashes involving a driver or motorcycle operator with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher. If you were struck and injured by a drunk driver, you should consult an experienced attorney about pursing a personal injury lawsuit.
Drivers of cars, trucks and buses often do not look out for motorcycles, which can be more difficult to spot because they are small. For example, negligent drivers may be liable for a motorcycle accident if they:
- Fail to check mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles before changing lanes
- Fail to yield to motorcyclists who have the right of way at intersections
- Fail to allow a safe distance when following a motorcycle
- Fail to give motorcyclists a full lane width when passing
- Fail to recognize a motorcycle due to cell phone use or other form of distracted driving
Motorcycle accidents in the Tri-Cities sometimes result from problems with the rider’s motorcycle or safety gear. When an equipment defect is to blame for the accident, you can pursue damages from the maker of the bike or gear.
All the accident causes discussed above can form the basis for a successful personal injury claim. However, you need a skilled personal injury lawyer to investigate your claim, negotiate with the insurance company and take your case to trial, if necessary.
Common motorcycle accident injuries
Motorcycle helmets can save lives. However, riders still have little protection from the force of a crash. Even at slow speeds, motorcycle accidents can result in severe brain injuries or even death. Common injuries include:
Victims of motorcycle accidents often face a long and costly recovery. In some cases, injuries such as permanent brain damage and paralysis may last a lifetime. Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. has experience dealing with these types of catastrophic injuries. We can help you obtain financial compensation for your losses and ease the challenges you may face in your future.
Don’t ever accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer before talking to an attorney, as it likely severely undervalues your damages. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will carefully evaluate your claim and determine your losses, which may include medical expenses, future medical care, lost wages, diminished earning capacity, pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.
Contact experienced Kingsport injury lawyers about your motorcycle accident
If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash in the Tri-Cities area, you need a skilled and dedicated lawyer in your corner. Relying on more than 75 years of combined experience, the injury lawyers of Massengill, Caldwell & Coughlin, P.C. work hard so you obtain full and fair compensation. Call our office today at 423-797-6022 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.